RSS

Changes in My Life... That I Have Noticed

It's rather hard to actually tell if someone has changed or not, particularly yourself.
I find this particularly awkward, especially if you were thinking to yourself about how long has it been and how you didn't actually notice it.

As you all well know, I'm in New Zealand and currently studying in my 2nd year degree in Bachelor of Education (TESOL) over at the University of Otago and I have to say; living abroad actually changes you DRASTICALLY.

For some reason (or, maybe it's the BBC shows), I've been speaking in a more British accent than I was before I come to New Zealand. I didn't actually noticed this before until just now in my tutorial session this afternoon. I had a small and interesting discussion about the behaviour models that we would actually try to bring in to our teaching once we graduate and apparently, I was the only Malaysian in the small group of 5 (the others were all Kiwis). It was then that I actually noticed these particular small things:

1) I've lost my "lah" and "lor" in my daily speech (except when I'm speaking with Malaysians)
2) My pronunciation has improved over the couple of months that I've studied here.
3) I find it easy to understand the Kiwi accent ever since the first time I arrived here.
4) I've been speaking English more fluently than I did back in Malaysia.

Is it just me or am I becoming more and more English?

Some hints were given to me through several people that I actually met last week:
1) A guy at the Human Nutrition Department when I went for my blood test last week
2) A Maori woman that I met during the blood test.
3) The nurse who actually drew my blood that day.
4) A cashier at a local shop.
5) One of the lecturers at College of Education.

I've also noticed some other things about me that has changed:
1) I've stopped downloading TV series since I came here on February.
2) I've been a little bit spend-thrift on other things as well as books.
3) I've grown to love shoes.
4) I have a habit of doing random stuff alone (like going to the movies).

And some other things that I would KILL MYSELF if I mention them here.. TEE HEE!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that changes happen, even if we don't actually notice it.. Especially when you are living with people that are foreign to you...

Till then, CHEERS!

With all due respect,
Hafiz Khairuddin

0 comments: